I decided to document the unfolding of my new Studio here. Sooo, I'll start at the beginning.
The very beginning...
Building crew has left and the crew of Me and Hailey are clocking in....Time to paint!
Next we start on the inside, whoa!!!
Lighst!!!..we need electricity!!
I thought I could do this by myself so I went and bought everything you would need to wire my Studio plus some. Then, I started thinking about getting electrocuted and how that would kind of just go against everything I was working towards....namely...becoming an artist in glass...haha* so I hired someone. I jumped on Craigslist posted an ad and poof voila I had 8 replies. I decided on this guy and well, the drama began! When all was said and done.....
After he did his quick "put up the lights for this biatch and go" job, the crew of Me and Hailey examined the not so great job and took everything down. During this 're-do' I experienced a nice little jolt of electricity! I thought I was going to fall off the ladder....whew* From looking at the above pic you can see that the jolt did not halt our perseverance. dah dahhhh* Motion detection lights!!!! Oh, and you can also see the small deck we built.
Now for the inside....
Decision: sheet rock or primed paneling? (I know the door really looks pink in this picture...aagghhh*)
As you can see from above, I chose primed wall paneling. It was easier for us to lift, but you should have seen us driving home with these 4x8 panels sticking out the back of my Nitro! hahaha I should have taken a picture of that!!! We are sooo lucky we weren't pulled over by Mr. Cop!
We attached the paneling with Liquid Nail Adhesive plus paneling nails. This is where the Olive Oil came into play. That adhesive can get all over you...UGH!!!
Next, we trimmed the windows and the walls!
Continuing to use the adhesive (we gained some control) and nails, we actually were able to frame the windows with trim. Not perfect.. no.. but it looks okay.
* Added Note: Waterproof Silicon on top of Liquid Nail Adhesive keeps Olive Oil from doing it's job!
Little more finish and some paint. Now it's more about mustering the strength to finish the jobs....whew*
Put off working on the Studio for two days...UGH. This shame made me get off my duff and tackle some ceiling insulation. Oh, how I hate working with that stuff...the mask, the goggles, the long sleeves,... a Hazmat suit would have been better! ....geesh* But today, I used my head.... no really... I used my head to put the insulation up in the ceiling...hee* There were a few times that I wrestled with the ladder, but I won and my head stayed put and held the insulation in place...woo to the hoo!! (as Dana would say)
Here's the results....
Saturday I sat in Midas waiting on car maintenance stuff instead of working in the Studio:( Finally, after leaving, I made a run to Lowe's to pick up a few things. I actually got in a couple of hours before dark.
Did you know that Goo Gone nor Nail Polish remover will remove heavy duty Magic Marker? I made a mess!
Drove to College Station and rented a Penske truck to haul back the free cabinets that my daughter, Kendel, found for me...wooohooo! PROGRESS!!!
more as we go....=]
Well, we rented the Penske, picked up more lumber while I had this BIG truck, loaded up cabinets and drove back home that night in rainy nasty weather. Hailey and I were drenched while we did our best to unload the cabinets and extra lumber...UGH!! We were soo cold, grouchy, and tired but we got most of it out. I decided to leave the heavier large cabinet pieces inside the truck, in hopes that the rain would subside. After waiting for what seemed like forever, I halted the project and we went inside. I had to get the truck back asap so I set the alarm clock for 4:45am so we could finish unloading and clean the truck. Of course it was still dark, still cold, and still nasty weather, but we did it! I guess the pressure of having to get that truck back before the doors opened gave us the energy we needed (having to pay an extra hundred dollars helped as well). The truck was turned in by 7am and we were through with that part...Whew!!
Holidays have come and gone and I finally installed the first cabinet...sigh* I'm soo thankful for the sunshine! It definitely motivated me to get going and get something done! I've decided I'm not going to post pics until I have all the cabinets in. Hopefully they will look nice enough I won't mind showing them off...haha*
I'm so proud of the work that we've done so I just have to post at least one or two pics. As you can see, I still don't have ALL of the cabinets in, but almost. I sure wish I had kept up with dates on this project...whew*
My workbench with a mounted range hood for the beginnings of the ventilation system. I've mounted a magnetic strip across the front to hold tools. The recessed shelves were created to save some room on the workbench. The lights....well, the entire top space will eventually have metal duct work in front of it so I decided to use rope lights behind styrene for a bit of extra light in the work area. If you look on top of the bench you will see a square tile. Eventually, the entire bench top will be tiled along with the floor. You can also see a bit of the cabinets.This is the main torching area. I just love my little recessed shelves!!!
And hopefully, I'll be able to do this one day.....
For more details.....Check out "Building My Studio"